Avoyd 0.9.2 is now out with the main features being:
- support for transparency in export to polygon mesh with updated documentation
- improved graphics level of detail which fixes the visible surface material sampling position so that the correct material is shown rather than a material from under the surface (for example dirt showing rather than grass)
- enhanced file dialogue showing file size, time, and type along with drag & drop and Windows file associations for Avoyd's *.awvr file type.
- Voxel Editor - Can now drag & drop avoyd world files onto the voxel editor to open them without opening file dialogue
- Voxel Editor - File > Open can now import files as well as open Avoyd world files
- Voxel Editor - Improved file dialogue with sortable filename, modification date, type, and size
- Voxel Editor - Avoyd .avwr world files are now associated with Avoyd and can be opened from Windows Explorer
- Voxel Editor - Export to polygon mesh now supports basic transparency
- Voxel Editor - Export to polygon mesh option to export normals (previously defaulted to always generating & exporting face normals)
- Voxel Editor - Enhanced visibility of the wireframe voxel edge to brush shapes when enabled in Menu > Settings > Voxel Style > Show Voxel Edges and Voxel Edge Amplitude
- Graphics - Level of detail material sampling attempts to sample the materials on the visible edges for improved distant visuals
- Voxel Editor - Improved performance of Export to polygon mesh, now up to ~15x faster
- Voxel Editor - File dialogue Useful Directories list changed to a Recent Directories list (with added 'useful directories')
- Voxel Editor - Recent files lists now shows all recent world (model) file types. Menu File > Open Recent Worlds and File > Load Recent Worlds as Paste Brush
- Voxel Editor - Edit Tool hollow shapes wall thickness is now an absolute number of voxels (replaces percentage of size). This gives more precise control and ensures the walls are the same thickness along every axis. Menu Tools > Edit Tool... > Shapes 'Box Hollow', 'Tube', 'Ellipsoid Hollow', 'Torus Hollow'
- Voxel Editor - Simplified menu and toolbar shortcut to the Edit Tool. Menu Tools > Edit Tool...
- Voxel Editor - Improved CPU and GPU performance when using orthographic camera by lowering level of detail for off screen sections
- Game - Improved LAN multiplayer server list with sortable status (ready to join or not), server name, game mode, number of players, etc. Default sort by status. Main menu 'Join LAN Game'
- Voxel Editor - Edit tool Anchor bounds can now be modified when further than 10000 voxels away
- File dialogue flickering when External Viewport Display enabled and file dialogue moved outside main window
- Improved error handling for loading corrupt Avoyd .avwr world files
- Changing between menus (Voxel Editor to Main Menu for example) closes the file dialogue
- Installer - Added a delay after install before running Avoyd to ensure copied dlls can be loaded
Export to Blender and Unity with Transparency
Avoyd isometric render of an orange voxel camper van to be exported to Blender and Unity. The render shows the metallic materials reflecting the ground and sky, emissive headlights, and transparent windows, light lenses and exhaust fumes.
Credit: original model by Rebecca Michalak
Camper van model in Avoyd with edit tool open.
Camper van exported and then imported into Unity 3D
Camper van exported and then imported into Blender
Improved Level of Detail Example: Minecraft World
Minecraft map viewed in Avoyd version 0.9.1. The level of detail graphics system sometimes incorrectly samples the materials underneath the visible surfaces, showing brown mud where grass or water should be.
Credit: Minecraft map Mattupolis by MattuFIN
Minecraft map viewed in Avoyd version 0.9.2. The improved level of detail graphics system now correctly samples the materials on the visible surfaces.